Effective Date: July 24, 2019
Communication First values your private information and understands the need for security and trust surrounding such information. We are committed to protecting your privacy, and this policy (“Policy”) describes our information collection and dissemination practices in connection with our website at https://communicationfirst.org or any website or service that links to or refers to this policy (collectively, the “Sites”). Please review the entire policy and feel free to contact if you have any questions. By using the Sites, you consent to the collection, use, and disclosure of your information in accordance with the Policy.
Collection of Information
We may collect the following kinds of information when you use the Sites:
- Information you provide directly to us.
- For certain activities, such as when you subscribe to our updates or newsletters, make a donation or a purchase, submit a communication story, comment, or other content, or contact us directly, we may collect some or all of the following types of information: (1) your contact information, such as your name, email address, phone number, and mailing address; (2) your likeness, image, name, video, or voice recordings; and (3) any other information you choose to provide to us. We may combine such information with information we may already have about you.
- We may collect certain information automatically when you use our Sites, such as your Internet protocol (IP) address, device and advertising identifiers, browser type, operating system, Internet service provider, pages that you visit before and after using the Sites, the date and time of your visit, information about the links you click, the pages you view, the general manner in which you navigate the Sites, and other standard server log information. We may also collect certain location information when you use our Sites, such as your computer’s IP address, your mobile device’s GPS signal, or information about nearby WiFi access points and cell towers.
- We may also collect technical data to address and fix technical problems and improve our Sites, including the memory state of your device when a system or app crash occurs while using our Sites. Your device or browser settings may permit you to control the collection of this technical data. This data may include parts of a document you were using when a problem occurred, or the contents of your communications. By using the Sites, you are consenting to the collection of this technical data.
- We may also receive information about you from other sources, including through third-party services and organizations. For example, if you access third-party services, such as Facebook, Google, LinkedIn or Twitter, from the Sites or to share information about your experience on the Sites with others, we may collect information from these third-party services.
Use of Information
We generally use the information we collect online to:
- Provide and improve the Sites;
- Contact you, including for fundraising purposes;
- Fulfill your requests for products, services, and information;
- Send you promotional materials;
- Analyze the use of the Sites and user data to understand and improve the Sites;
- Customize the content you see when you use the Sites;
- Prevent potentially prohibited or illegal activities and otherwise in accordance with our Terms and Conditions; and
- For any other purposes disclosed to you at the time we collect your information or pursuant to your consent (including using your likeness, image, name, or voice on Communication First’s website, social media channels, multimedia materials, print materials, and any other works made by Communication First, where you have provided us with your consent to do so).
Sharing of Information
We are committed to maintaining your trust, and we want you to understand when and with whom we may share the information we collect.
- Authorized third-party vendors and service providers. We may share your information with third-party vendors and service-providers that help us with specialized services, including billing, payment processing, customer service, email deployment, business analytics, marketing, advertising, performance monitoring, hosting, and data processing. We take steps to prevent these third parties from using your information for any purpose other than the services they are providing.
- Legal purposes. We may disclose information to respond to subpoenas, court orders, legal process, law enforcement requests, legal claims or government inquiries, and to protect and defend the rights, interests, health, safety, and security of Communication First, our affiliates, users, or the public.
- With your consent or at your direction. We may share information for any other purposes disclosed to you at the time we collect the information or pursuant to your consent or direction.
If you access third-party services, such as Facebook, Google, Instagram, LinkedIn, or Twitter, from the Sites or to share information about your experience on the Sites with others, these third-party services may be able to collect information about you, including information about your activity on the Sites, and they may notify your connections on the third-party services about your use of the Sites, in accordance with their own privacy policies.
We use reasonable measures to help protect information from loss, theft, misuse and unauthorized access, disclosure, alteration and destruction. You should understand that no data storage system or transmission of data over the Internet or any other public network can be guaranteed to be 100 percent secure. Please note that information collected by third parties may not have the same security protections as information you submit to us, and we are not responsible for protecting the security of such information.
You may opt out of our email newsletters by clicking the “unsubscribe” at the bottom of each newsletter and following the subsequent instructions. You may also opt out of all communications from Communication First by contacting us using the information below. Where you have provided us with your consent to use your likeness, image, name and/or voice on our website, social media channels, multimedia materials, print materials, podcasts, and any other works made by Communication First, you can later withdraw your consent, although given the nature of the Internet, it may not be possible to ensure the complete removal of your information from the Internet.
You may be able to refuse or disable cookies by adjusting your web browser settings. Because each web browser is different, please consult the instructions provided by your web browser (typically in the “help” section). Please note that you may need to take additional steps to refuse or disable Local Shared Objects and similar technologies. If you choose to refuse, disable, or delete these technologies, some of the functionality of the Sites may no longer be available to you.
You have a right of access, modification, and rectification of your personal data, at any time and free of charge. You can exercise these rights by contacting us using the information below.
California residents are entitled once a year, free of charge, to request and obtain certain information regarding our disclosure, if any, of certain categories of personal information to third parties for their direct marketing purposes in the preceding calendar year. We do not share personal information with third parties for their own direct marketing purposes.
Third-Party Advertising, Links, and Content
Some of the Sites may contain links to content maintained by third parties that we do not control. We may allow third parties to collect information about your online activities through cookies, pixels, local storage, and other technologies. These third parties may use this information to display advertisements online that are tailored to your interests, preferences, and characteristics. We are not responsible for the privacy practices of these third parties, and the information practices of these third parties are not covered by this Policy.
We maintain information in the United States of America and in accordance with the laws of the United States, which may not provide the same level of protection as the laws in your jurisdiction. By using the Sites and providing us with information, you understand and agree that your information may be transferred to and stored on servers located outside your resident jurisdiction and, to the extent you are a resident of a country other than the United States, that you consent to the transfer of such data to the United States for processing by us in accordance with this Policy.
We do not knowingly collect any personal information from children under the age of 13 without parental consent, unless permitted by law. If we learn that a child under the age of 13 has provided us with personal information, we will delete it in accordance with applicable law.
If you have any questions about this Policy or our practices, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org.